Lately I’ve been studying what makes a copywriter great. A lot of times it simply comes down to putting more time into a package, but I’ve also noticed 5 key traits that great copywriters have that most beginners aren’t willing to do.
Instead of rambling on like a 4 year old…let’s get right to it.
The 5 Traits That Make You A Great Copywriter
- Dedication To Research – Most copywriters today simply don’t put any time into research. They somehow think they “know” the market just by thinking about it for a few minutes. Unfortunately they’re sadly mistaken. Research uncovers many hidden gems that may move your prospect to buy your product. It keeps them interested, educates them on things they didn’t know, and helps you understand exactly what emotions to touch and what buttons you need to push.
- Using Your Subconscious Mind – Your subconscious mind is literally the most powerful part of your entire body. If you don’t know how to properly use your subconscious mind, you’re missing out on the great ideas that make the world A-list copywriters make it to the top. There are many techniques to using your subconscious mind to create great ideas – which will all be covered in this blog.
- Looking At Past Mistakes And Present Successes – This goes along with research but I wanted to expand on it slightly. When you’re about to do a project, one of the first things on your list should be to look at what’s worked in the past for similar projects (or the same project) as well as the failures. Highlight the successes and failures and write them all down. Then make sure you do all the successes and don’t do the failures.
- Perseverance – The ability to delay immediate gratification for long term benefits is the mark of a true copywriter. Almost nobody hits it big their first time writing copy. Those who do are simply lucky – you can’t expect it to happen. Pay your dues in the beginning and keep the end at the front of your mind. Good things will eventually happen! It took me over 3 years off paying my dues to finally figure out what I wanted to do and have things finally start to happen.
- Be A Lifetime Learner – This is the trait of any successful person in any niche. Almost every single successful person I know is a voracious reader. They read at least 1 hour per day plus listen to audios in the car. It may be hard at times, but it’s well worth it. Within just a year or 2 you can become a complete expert in copywriting – just by continually reading and using the tactics you learn when you write copy.
Although their are a lot more traits that A-list copywriter, these 5 are all extremely important. I practice all 5 and so do the best copywriters in the world. You’d be doing yourself a huge favor if you did too 🙂